Tameside Sight, a small independent charity that has, for the last 40 years, supported blind and partially sighted people living in the Tameside area of Greater Manchester.
In 2000 the charity set up the Support Project, which is dedicated to promoting independence and reducing isolation for people with sight loss through various activities. Currently the project provides over 15 different services, which cover themes of:
- raising awareness of the issues surrounding vision impairment
- support with specific activities that promote independence and reduce isolation
- advocacy and literacy support to help with particular problems
- equipment and technical support for day to day living
- information and referrals for other services and support
In 2015, Tameside Sight (website) won “Pride of Tameside – Charity of the year” in recognition for its value for money support.